UCB 2000 Carleton Street, Berkeley CA 94720-2284 | (510) 643-6245 | 7:30am - 5:00pm
1. For mailings with more than 5 pages fold in half and place in a 6x9 envelope and save an average of 41 cents. (Remember do not use an envelope with a clasp; there is an extra USPS service fee.)
2. Screen your mailing list for unnecessary names, duplicates and incomplete addresses.
3. Do not over-insure. The post office and UPS will pay only the actual value of an item, not the declared value.
4. Use postcards for short messages or announcements. The cost is 32 cents instead of the letter rate of 45 cents.
5. Double side your inserts to keep the weight down on your mail piece.
6. Combine mailings when possible into a larger envelope for distribution at the location.
7. Use Business Reply envelopes provided by vendors, instead of department envelopes.
8. FAX the information when time is crucial, instead of using Express mail. If you do need something sent Express mail, use FedEx; their service is quicker and more economical.
9. Use Priority mail only for items out-of-state. Priority takes two to three day delivery time. Anything in-state sent out 1st class is delivered in that time.
10. If you use Priority mail, use the envelopes and boxes provided by the USPS. These supplies are free and can be ordered online at USPS.com.
11. Request Library and Book rate whenever possible. Savings can be as much as 50% of the cost of 1st class mail.
12. Save $2.30 each on Certified Mail by NOT using a Return Receipt. RR's are rarely needed or legally required. 95% of the time there is no problem with delivery of Certified Mail and if there is, you can obtain a copy of the signed 3849 from the delivery Post Office for a small fee.
© 2012 The Regents of the University of California. All Rights Reserved.