Individual members of faculty and staff prepare the majority of the campus’ outgoing mail. To maximize your department’s savings, you should encourage your department representative to prepare mail according to the Mail Services mail preparation guidelines. It is advisable to do this for all types of mail, not just ACOGM, because you will benefit with faster, more accurate service.
However, for ACOGM, all mail MUST be prepared strictly according to these guidelines. The most important requirements are described below. Please refer to the mail preparation guidelines for an example of these rules.
- One- or two-ounce domestic letters only. No postcards; no self-mailers. Letter dimensions must be within a minimum of 3.5" W x 5" H and a maximum of 6.125" H x 11.5" W. Envelopes do not need to be sealed.
- Addresses must be typed or computer generated – no handwritten addresses.
- The address should appear in ALL CAPITALS, with no punctuation.
- The last address line must be the city/state/ZIP, and the ZIP code must be included. A 5-digit ZIP code is sufficient. No text must display below the city/state/ZIP.
- The delivery address line must appear immediately above the city/state/ZIP.
- There must be high contrast between the address and the background on which it is printed. Avoid using old printer ribbons or toner cartridges. Avoid printing the address on colored paper. No NCR forms.
- Use 12-point Courier or Courier New font. (10-point type and other fonts are acceptable if they are fixed-space and sans serif.)
- The lower right hand corner of the envelope – an area measuring 5/8" H x 4.75" W – must be clear (a barcode will be applied in this space during processing.)
- The lower left area of the envelope (below the return address and to the left of the delivery address) should be left free of text.
- For window envelopes, the entire address must be visible in the window, even when the envelope is jogged in any direction. Do not use staples to hold loose inserts in place.
- A barcode of the chartstring or speedtype must appear in the upper left hand corner of each piece.
- Do not insert any enclosures such as keys, pens or large clasps that can jam machinery.